5 Top Toxins That Poison Our Pets

by admin on March 25, 2014

61909_568836466490622_2008202976_n 1. Prescription Human Medications

So many of our pets ingest human medications.  Our pets are fast.  The top three types of medications that animals were exposed to include: heart medications, antidepressants and pain medications. Many instances of exposure occurred when pet parents dropped their medication when preparing to take it, and before they knew it, Fido had gobbled the pill off the floor.

2. Insecticides

Insecticides are used in the yard, home and on our animals, and nearly 16% of all calls to the ASPCA poison hotline in 2013 were related to insecticides. Always read the label before using any insecticide on your pet, in your home or in your yard.

3. Over-the-Counter Human Medications

Over-the-counter human products, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen and herbal supplements, accounted for nearly 15% of calls to APCC in 2013. Many of these products are tasty to pets, and some can be life threatening if ingested.  YIKES!  Always be vigilant when taking your human medications, to notice if a pill as dropped on the floor.

4. Household Products

The ASPCA reported nearly 17,000 calls about general household products in 2013. Household toxins range from fire logs to cleaning products.

5. People Food

Human foods are often appealing to pets, especially dogs. In 2013, people foods clocked in as the fifth most common pet poison. Pets can get themselves into serious trouble by ingesting onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and the sugar substitute xylitol, among other common food items.  Keep your purses in a safe place, dogs love to snoop around.  Hang up your pants too.  Xylitol is used in gum and it’s easy for your dog to be a detective and find a serious life threatening treat in purses, pants pockets, low drawers that are open, your garbage containers not properly sealed or locked shut.  It’s just takes 1 time for you to have that sinking feeling when you notice your pet has been a detective and has gotten themselves in to serious trouble.

Thank you to www.aspca.org for this information.  If  you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, please contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center 24 hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.  Charges will apply.

I’d love to have you follow me on:

Twitter ❥ :       https://twitter.com/THEDOGBUDDHA

Instagram ❥ : www.instagram.com/THEDOGBUDDHA

Facebook ❥ :    www.facebook.com/TheDogBuddha

 

Share your thoughts with our Community!

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: